Camille was inducted tonight into the Soaring Hawks Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society. Selection is based primarily on academics, but with components of service, leadership, citizenship, etc. I think she was happy about it, but felt a little uncomfortable with all the eyes watching.
One of the speakers tonight was a girl named Cindy Wu, who went to Camille's elementary school and her middle school before graduating as a valedictorian at University High School, where Camille will be going. She will be attending Gonzaga in the fall with nearly $40,000 in scholarships. As she was introduced and delivered her remarks it was obvious that she is an extremely well-rounded and intelligent young woman.
Near the end of her talk, she told how in her sophomore year her parents divorced and her mother moved to Arizona with a boyfriend. A year later her father got cancer and went to his native home in Taiwan for treatment, leaving Cindy alone in their home to finish her high school education and her Running Start classes. His treatments were very expensive, so this not only became tough emotionally, but financially as well. Sadly, her father did not recover and died in 2008. Through all of it she just kept moving forward. She spoke of the need for balance in addition to hard work. Her attitude was amazing.
It was only when I got home and told Brett about Cindy that I found out she is the daughter of the late Steven Wu, who was one of Brett's friends at work. It put a different spin on things and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all night. The day of Steven's funeral was the only day I ever recall Brett wearing a suit and tie to work. I couldn't help but think that he must be very proud of his daughter.
1 comment:
What a neat story! Way to go Camille!!!
Post a Comment