Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tidbits

A few tidbits from the last months:

No Ground Squirrel for Us. We're Happy to Eat the Goose.
(Borders family joke.)

This is what 15 pounds of goose made into sausage looks like. Max, a connoisseur of peppered beef sticks, Slim Jims and all things like unto them, is in his happy place.


Now Dash Away, Dash Away, Dash Away All

Natalie wishing for Christmas in April. Except her sled is a doll bed and her 'reindeer' a stuffed puppy and a blue teddy bear.


A Favorite Activity

If you ever need to keep kids happy, give them a bucket of water, an old paintbrush and send them out to the driveway.


Kindergarten Mother's Day Program

Cameron's Kindergarten class had a party for Mother's Day. I knew there would probably be a program, but didn't expect much participation from Cameron. Just sitting still with that many people in the room would be a success for him.

The program started off teary as his general ed teacher, Mrs. Kennedy read this truly horribly, devastating picture book that I probably will always hate even more than "I'll Love You Forever." It is called "Let Me Hold You Longer"and is about celebrating all the 'firsts' and 'lasts' you have with your child. The firsts are great, the lasts are killer. I don't know how she could read it out loud since all the mom's in the room and even the Aides were bawling by the time she hit the last page.

Then came the program, all about the seas and the creatures that live there. Cameron sang along with his classmates on some of the songs, did the actions on a few and generally stayed where he was supposed to be, which for him, is a huge success. Mixed in with the music, the individual children stood up and read a sentence they had written to describe their mom. I was so shocked when Cameron stood up. His teacher gave him a small paper, but he didn't look at it. His eyes found mine and locked onto them. He stared at me with such intensity and said very slowly and distinctly "My Mom is Good."

I cried. His aides cried. Some of the other moms cried. It was obvious how hard he worked to get that one sentence out--the one he had actually written himself. It was a crying kind of day, I guess.

I am so proud of all Cameron's hard work. We've seen so much progress lately and know how hard he's had to work to get there. Heavenly Father has great things in store for Cam and we are very blessed to be a part of his journey.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Cam will do great things because he has a great mom walking along with him!